Monday, July 29, 2013

When This Train Ends, I'll Try Again

Just got back from an awesome week up north, my first vacation in many years. Other than one brief visit to the nearest town (45 minutes away), I was without internet, cell service, and connectivity of any kind. I have to say, it was important to be off the grid - much-needed. And as we made our way back into service areas and the notifications started popping up on my phone, my anxiety built at a staggering rate.

Kinda makes ya think.


But this post is not about that. No, it's a continuation of my recent blog about how trips up north helped fuel my music obsession. So what better way to outline my trip then with a taste of its soundtrack?


The Soundtrack

The Song: Jimi Hendrix - "Voodoo Child"
The Scene: Sitting on the dock with a beer and a book, watching the dogs (Daisy & Roxie) attack flies hilariously.



The Song: Jefferson Airplane - "White Rabbit"
The Scene: Being surprised with a birthday cake for my 30th. That was fun.


The Song: Fleetwood Mac - "Rhiannon"
The Scene: Getting in the kayak. And immediately tipping it over. I am the very picture of grace.


The Song: Smith - "The Weight"
The Scene: Fishing around the calmest, clearest lake I've ever been on. I hardly caught anything (mainly the tiny rock bass in the photo below, named Bernard), but I got to reconnect with my old favourite left-handed closed-faced reel. I grew up using that reel.


The Song: The Doors - "Peace Frog"
The Scene: Swimming with Daisy, then realizing that she's a much better swimmer than I am. I could not keep up. No wonder I failed my swimming classes as a kid.



The Song: The Moody Blues - "Nights In White Satin"
The Scene: Reading in the living room with huge windows that overlooked the lake. It's apparently called "relaxing", and I usually don't know how to do it.


The Song: Simon & Garfunkel - "The Sounds of Silence"
The Scene: Driving into the nearest town to get groceries, and so I could use the internet and check in on work. The only place I could go was in the Bancroft Library, where a man vehemently warned us of the dangers of Wifi. Sorry, dude. My job is the internet.


The Song: Lynyrd Skynyrd - "Tuesday's Gone"
The Scene: Hammock discovery. I want one for my living room.



Good times, overall. The city feels strange right now.



4 comments:

Krista Zee said...

Your playlist makes me think you stole MY ipod!
hehe

Good taste!

Danger Owl said...

I'm so happy you go tup North. :)

Kris Goetz said...

Great minds, KZ!

Kris Goetz said...

Moi aussi!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...