Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Bow Down Before The One You Serve, You're Going To Get What You Deserve

With my first-ever Nine Inch Nails concert coming up on Friday, it has me realizing just how long I've been listening to this band. Since that first album came out in 1989, this chick would've been a 6 year old likely singing along to tunes from Pretty Hate Machine on her swingset  ("Head Like A Hole" was my favourite to sing, and I'm certain the neighbours just loved hearing a tiny female Trent Reznor-wannabe, screaming along.).

24 years. That's a long time.


My sister was the reason a little version of me was listening to a band like NIN - and while I've blogged about my musical tastes being shaped by my parents and trips up north, my sister is responsible for all the rest. From a young age, she would make me mixtapes full of whatever she had been listening to at the time. These became my most prized possessions. I soaked them up; consumed them. Memorized every word to every song.

I'd get on my swing for hours every day, listening to these songs and hiding away from other kids as much as possible. I was timid and kinda different, so other kids didn't always "get" me (which often made me a target) - and my taste in music likely didn't help that. But it was my absolute favourite thing. Music was my best friend, and my sister's tapes were the medium.


To this day, when I listen to a song that happened to be on one of those mixtapes, in my head I automatically hear whichever song came immediately after on the tape. Because of this, my Rdio obsession has come in handy - I've been curating a playlist (called "Mixtapes & Swingsets") with some of the songs my sister had put on my tapes. The songs that take me right back to my favourite place.

I still listen to a lot of these bands, as you can tell. And these mixtapes from my sister made me adore playlists. If you look at my list on Rdio, I have a playlist for every mood. They're still important to me - my digital mixtapes, my best memories.

So at the Nine Inch Nails show this Friday, it'll be somewhat celebratory - for a 30 year old lifelong fan, but also for a little kid on her swingset, singing along with a mixed tape to shut out the world and feel ok.


4 comments:

Eric said...

Awesome list dude! Your playlist could be an evening of songs on Indie 88. Do you listen to that station? Pretty solid too.

Mike D. said...

You were always a little skid.

Kris Goetz said...

Yup, I do. But they wouldn't play much of that list on their station.

Kris Goetz said...

Truth.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...